Resource guide for families
Knowing where to access information, services or support can play a vital role in optimising day-to-day quality of life. The Resource Guide for Families outlines services that may be of assistance and how you may access them. This guide has been developed to help families who have had difficulty locating services and resources when the need arises.
Download: Resource guide for families (PDF)
Directory of Genetic Support Groups and Community Support Organisations in Western Australia
The purpose of the Directory is to provide genetic support information to health professionals, individuals and Genetic Support Groups. The aim of the Directory is to assist with referral for individuals and families with either a known or newly diagnosed genetic condition or predisposition to these Genetic Support Groups.
- Health Consumers’ Council WA - Download: Treatment of rare medical conditions (PDF)
- Fact Sheet - Download: About Rare Diseases in Australia (PDF)
Starting a Support Group
Download: Resources for support groups (PDF)
Latest Gene Advocate Newsletter
Blood test indicator for Down Syndrome, page 1. Could my genetic information affect my health or life insurance?, page 2. Australian process for subsidised access to orphan drugs, page 3. New Genetic Tool May Help Diagnose And Treat Kids with ADHD, page 5. Programmes to support chronic disease self-management, page 7.
Epilepsy Association of WA
Download: Gene Advocate Issue 72 April 2013
Gene Advocate Newsletters 2013
- Download: Gene Advocate Issue 71 Jan 2013 - Rare Disease Day, Privately owned genetic databases may hinder diagnosis, Musculoskeletal machinations in WA, International team discover clue to Friedreich's Ataxia, Dyslexia SPELD Foundation WA Inc.
Gene Advocate Newsletters 2012
- Download: October Issue 70 (PDF) - Helping Our Kids Communicate Their Health Care Needs, Disability Rights Now - Civil Society Report on Australia, Call for Indigenous Gene Research Protocols, Down Syndrome WA.
- Download: April Issue 69 (PDF) - Born Healthy Network (An international community), Improving Doctor/Caregiver Communication, Epilepsy research, Cystic Fibrosis.
- Download: February Issue 68 (PDF) - Rare Diseases, Potential for earlier diagnosis of ovarian cancer, Hereditary Angioedema (HAE), Cornelia de Lange Syndrome.
Gene Advocate Newsletters 2011
- Download: December Issue 67 (PDF) - What is a clinical trial?, Coeliac WA.
- Download: October Issue 66 (PDF) - What is personally controlled electronic health record (PCEHR)? Cleft Palate and Lip Society.
- Download: July Issue 65 (PDF) - Personalised medicine and genetics, Chromosome 18 Registry & Research Society Australia.
- Download: April Issue 64 (PDF) - WA Register of Developmental Anomalies, Questions Raised by the "New Genetics", Chiari & Syringomyelia Australia.
- Download: January Issue 63 (PDF) - What is a rare disease? Common problem of rare disease in general practice, Mandatory reporting of birth defects WA, CHARGE Syndrome Association.